Monday, November 1, 2010

Oak Leaf Camo?

We placed the empty rind from a yellow watermelon on the deck before taking it to the compost pile and when I walked by a while later this guy was sucking up the juice.  I thought it was just one of the 2.6 million or so leaves in the process of dumping from our big oak by the house until he flew away.  I got the camera, hid behind the glass door, and he came back, along with a couple of his buddies.  The upper sides of their wings are orange with brown spots.  That would be a dead giveaway amongst all the brown leaves, so they kept them closed except when flying.

3 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Most interesting photo... I am so glad you caught it on camera. Thanks for sharing.

ToOdLeS.

ShEiLa said...

I clicked over to look at the fire hydrant and left a comment. They probably should do something.

ToOdLeS.

Rob said...

Never have I seen a butterfly such as this, quite interesting what nature provides.